Thursday, January 31, 2008

Colorado Loves Obama!

Barack Obama came to DU yesterday and my colloquium got to see him! The media estimated that nearly 13,000 people had shown up to hear him. We were lucky and got to sit in the actual arena where he spoke but a lot of Iliff friends ended up in the overflow room or didn't get to stay at all. Caroline Kennedy was there to introduce and endorse Obama! The energy was palpable and it was SO neat to be a part of it. I sat next to an African American mother who was holding her daughter up to see and when Barack came out she cried, "Look baby! There he is!" People are SO hopeful about him and if you listen to him speak it is easy to understand why. He spoke sincerely and with integrity and got thunderous applause from me when he talked about raising teacher salaries and repairing worn down schools. (Lauren, I thought of you having to buy your own copy paper...) It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!




4 comments:

Emily said...

I thought about you when I heard he was in Denver! I'm so glad that you got to go see him!!! If I would've had more than a days notice that he was going to be in Kansas City, I would have been there with bells on...but I know he'll be back and I'll definitely be in attendance. I heard that he's had some surging in the polls (not sure exactly where) and I hope that his message will continue to resonate with people across the country. [hugs] Color me jealous!

ivcolga said...

How AWESOME! I know it was thrilling to see him and hear him and feel the energy and hope!
Love from Kansas,
Mom C

Unknown said...

How exciting! It is neat to someone in person.
Love,
Mom B

Anonymous said...

What an exciting opportunity!