Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I was invited by the senior pastor to preach on Ash Wednesday at Trinity. I spent the last week or so working and reworking my sermon and titled the sermon "Invited to Jerusalem." When Wednesday arrived, I was SO nervous! I cried a lot. And prayed a lot. And it was amazing. I was flooded with support from the young adults--many of them were there on Wednesday for the service. I also received an incredible amount of support and nurturing from the Trinity staff. They prayed for me before the service and when the service began, most of my nervousness was gone. I sat in the "Preacher's chair" next to Miriam, my mentor, and I couldn't get over how blessed and lucky I felt to have the opportunity to be at Trinity and to preach to the congregation. My voice was a little shaky for my first few sentences, but the congregation quickly made me feel at ease. Plus, my friend Greta was there and I heard her voice in my head when I walked up to the pulpit. She had told me that every time she preaches, she approaches the pulpit and says in her mind "Hello friend. Thank you for holding my notes." =)

In addition to preaching the sermon, I also got to participate in the imposition of ashes. One of my favorite moments was when David came to the altar rail and I got to put ashes on his forehead. When the service was over, I was physically marked as part of the Christian community. I had a cross on my forehead. However, what was also special was that I had ashes under my fingernails from imposing ashes on others. I felt, perhaps most clearly since I started seminary, a call to ordained ministry.

After the service Greta and David took me out to celebrate. (I was STARVING since most of the day I thought I was on the verge of puking!) I've only preached twice, and Greta and David have heard both sermons, so it was appropriate that I celebrated with them. =)




P.S. If you're wondering how I have pictures, one of the elders in the community who has taken me under his wing took some from the balcony and sent them to me. I didn't even notice him up there!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

So, so proud of you and so glad that you're allowing God to use you as His vessel, even though it's scary and you don't know where it's taking you. I wish I could have been there, but my heart and love were with you and I'm so glad I can picture you now!

ivcolga said...

I'm so proud of you. Tell the photographer thank you for me. I so wanted to be there, and this helps...

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,

We are both SO proud of you! We hope to hear you preach sometime soon (...though reading a verse at the wedding will tide us over for the time being) and pray that you continue to receive such amazing opportunities such as this one.

Love,
Matt & Emily

Anonymous said...

I love Ash Wednesday service. What an amazing service to preach.
David said that you did a great job.
Love,
Mom B

jakeandcamigrace said...

Awesome! I wish I could've been there to hear MY sister preach. Thank you for sharing your message...
Love you,
C