A couple of months ago we decided to try a meal swap. I plan two meals and Lorissa plans two meals and we make enough for both families. I usually spend a couple hours on Saturday or Sunday preparing our meals and then we find a time to get together and "swap". (It gives us a great excuse to get together!)
Here's what I LOVE about meal swap:
*I only cook once a week and I get FOUR meals out of the deal
*During the work week we don't have to cook when we get home from a long day
*I get to try things I would never have thought to cook myself (Lorissa has made falafel, chowder, and maple-glazed salmon)
*I'm inspired to cook things I probably wouldn't make for just the two of us (Last time I made homemade egg rolls and fried rice!)
*We eat less meat. (We each plan one meal with meat and one meal without)
*We swap every other weekend so it never feels overwhelming
I also love that it helps me practice mutual interdependence. In a culture that values "rugged individualism" and complete independence, participating in a meal swap reminds me of the joy that is found in mutual interdependence. I am learning that our burdens are a little lighter when we rely on each other and seek to live more communally.
6 comments:
What a brilliant idea! I think I'll try this...Nice! :)
What a great idea!!!
OMG, this is such AN AWESOME idea!!! Can't wait till I move out & can try this with a friend...
Happy Cooking! :)
Interdependence is a good thing...
Homemade egg rolls, huh? Yum.
Thanks for posting this. I love, love, love it and hope to find someone to meal swap with when we get settled!
We used to do this with the inlaws/cousins and it WAS awesome, especially when the kids were babies. Now that our clan has grown...I need to find a smaller group to exchange meals with ;-) Thanks for the reminder of such a helpful and healthy tip!
Post a Comment