David & I were heading to bed on Sunday night when we caught the breaking announcement of Bin Laden's death on TV.
I'll admit that I immediately felt relief.
I ache for the victims of 9/11. I ache for their families.
I ache for the lives lost in Iraq and Afghanistan since the "War on Terror" was waged nearly a decade ago.
I ache for the family members of the special ops team who was sent in on Sunday night.
But then the relief faded.
Because the news coverage began showing people all over the country celebrating the announcement. People wrapping themselves in the flag. People shouting "USA!" People cracking open beers.
And my heart began to ache.
Yes, I am an American.
I ache for the victims of 9/11.
I ache for the soldiers. For their families.
Yes, I am an American.
But I am first, and foremost, a Christian.
And, if I confess to being a Christian, if I proclaim to follow Christ, if I truly desire to follow the path of peace, then I cannot cannot rejoice in this death.
Was it necessary? Maybe.
Are we safer? Maybe.
Will it bring closure? Maybe.
But maybe not.
And I refuse to rejoice in death.
I find it interesting that the news of Bin Laden's death came one week after Christians celebrated Easter.
One week since we sang "Hallelujah!"
One week since we announced the resurrected Christ.
One week since we confessed our belief that God's power is stronger than death. That love is greater than hate. That death does not have the last word. That darkness can be overcome. That the tomb is empty.
And yet, as I watched people dancing in the streets, I wondered if we have forgotten. It's been seven days and we seem to have forgotten.
Aren't we Easter people?
Is the message of Easter morning still relevant seven days later? Or must we wait another year to act as if Easter matters?
Obviously, I cannot know if the Americans dancing in the streets are Christians or not. But, to those who are, I want to say, aren't we Easter people? Aren't we called to live as Easter people every day? Even in the middle of a world that feels like a perpetual Good Friday?
Yes, my heart aches for the victims of 9/11.
It aches for the soldiers and their families.
But it also aches for the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghanis that have died in the "War on Terror."
It aches for the woman who was used as a human shield at Bin Laden's compound.
It aches for the mother of Bin Laden's son, who woke up on Monday morning without a child. No mother, anywhere, ever, should know the pain of losing a child.
And, my heart beats too fast as I type this..
my heart aches for Bin Laden.
Because I look at my baby son and think that, a long time ago, Bin Laden was a baby son too. And somewhere along the way, his heart became so hardened and full of hate that he became a rejoicer in death.
You may despise me for aching for him. He did terrible, terrible things.
But, if I cannot see his humanity, if I become a rejoicer in death too, then my heart is no different than his.
Bin Laden was not a Christian.
But I am.
And I pray, pray, pray that God will give me the courage, will give us the courage to live as Easter people.
Every day.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
"Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you." ~Jesus
9 comments:
Amen.
Thanks for your expression Tiffany! I agree completely and also have been quite troubled these last few days. I think people are much too swept up in hate and fear and always having an enemy, and sadly this drives our country's patriotism and the image of "America" to the world. Sunday's events just swelled the hate and enemy mentality - celebrating a hated enemy - all in the name of patriotism. I'm still working on whether the events of Sunday were truly justice, as many are claiming. Anyway, I'm not proud to be an American these days.
I've been having this conversation with several different people this week, but I have to say that your post is the most compelling, poignant argument I've heard for why we MUST respond differently to this news. Amen.
So well put, Tiffany! Your thoughts bring some clarity to the last several days!
Hugs,
Crystal
This is really beautiful, Tiff. It reminded me of an essay Dr. Harding had us read from Thich Nhat Hanh about what he would say to Osama bin Laden after 9/11:
"If I were given the opportunity to be face to face with Osama bin Laden, the first thing I would do is listen. I would try to understand why he had acted in that cruel way. I would try to understand all of the suffering that had led him to violence. It might not be easy to listen in that way, so I would have to remain calm and lucid. I would need several friends with me, who are strong in the practice of deep listening, listening without reacting, without judging and blaming."
http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/world/facts/Bin_Laden.htm
<3
Greta
Tiffany,
I am going to have to say, "AMEN", just like your mother.
Love,
Patty
We may feel relief when a mass murderer is killed, and we may even feel that justice has been done. But as Christians, we can never rejoice over another soul who has gone to hell.
Though it may not have been your intention, that was the best sermon I've read in a very long time. I pray that more honesty like this can come directly from the mouths of our pastors.
When I saw the crowds dancing in the streets, waving the American flag...I felt ashamed, I felt saddened, disheartened.
I too mourn the loss of another soul, be it Bin Laden or not. I mourn that he was never able to truly experience the love and grace of the Heavenly Father.
Love you lots, girl.
Emily
Oh, Tif. Thank you for this. I needed this bit of compassion and hope to read today. <3 u!
Post a Comment