Thursday, July 8, 2010

We wait.

I could try blogging about something besides birth, labor, and babies but that would be disingenuous. Because it's all I'm thinking about right now. It's all we're thinking about right now.

We walk every day. Far. In the heat. My hands and feet swell up every time I step outside but, so far, walking has not induced the baby.

I'm eating pineapple and taking evening primrose oil. I got a massage. And a pedicure. David rubs my ankles every night with the hope that he will hit the labor-inducing pressure points.

I finished two novels. And we've watched two and a half seasons of Arrested Development. I've visited friends. We put the stroller together. I hold my belly and tell him it's time to be brave. David has threatened to ground him.

But, unfortunately, this baby has yet to be convinced that he should make his appearance sooner rather than later.

In fact, I'm starting to worry that he might be the first baby to just never come out.

I guess it's a good reminder that, despite my best efforts, I'm not in control. Not of this baby. Not of anything, really, in the universe.

Sigh.

So, I guess, we wait.

5 comments:

ivcolga said...

I know it's not the same. When people ask me how I am, I say, "Fine," not, "Huge," like you do. My ankles and hands are not swollen. I'm not carrying a person around on the front of me.
...but I'm trying to be in solidarity with you. Waiting to get in the car and drive to Denver. Waiting to hug you and congratulate you and hold this baby.
Waiting for this next phase of life to get started.
I love you.
P.S. He will be born.

Rachel said...

This is the hardest time- nearing(or passing) the due date and nothing is happening! But like your mom said- he will come. Praying for comfort for you over the next few hours/days/week?!!?

♥ Rachel

Anonymous said...

I know that you are ready to start the next chapter in all of this. I remind myself that Milo isn't even offically "due" yet. Maybe he'll come tomorrow... when he's due =)

<3
Carrie

Greta Spaghetta said...

Milo,

I love you but you have held my friend ransom for the past 9 months. The time has come for bribes.

When you are born I will bake you the finest Midwestern casseroles you will ever taste.

I am willing to negotiate with you on puppies, mountain bikes, parades, etc....but you gotta come out of there to make a deal. This is a limited time offer.

So let's get a move on, ok?!

Aunt Greta

Anonymous said...

We believe that Greta has the right idea and we are ready to up the anty!!
We believe that positive reinforcement, better known as bribery, should achieve the deisred results!
If Greta's items are not working, what about trip to Little Man's for ice cream. Gee Gee still remembers feeding ice cream to David(after birth)!
We went to dinner with neighbors last night and the conversation included children and parental control.
We're sure that you'll soon be blogging about Milo with great pics!
Love, Yai Yai & Opa