Wednesday, December 8, 2010

baby brain. it's expensive.

Yesterday, David had the day off. And so I left the boys at home and went to get my hair cut and colored. (I haven't touched the color since May because it's too expensive, but this mama needed a little pampering.)

So there I am, sitting in the hair cut chair with a plastic bag over my hair while the color sets.

And then I see the (insert inappropriate adjective here) Denver Parking Enforcement dude drive by the front window and slow down by my car.

(Back up a minute. Because David was home with the baby, I left him with the vehicle I normally drive because it has a car seat base. I took our Civic that HE normally drives.)

And he gives me a ticket.

And so my hair cut gal goes out to get the ticket because I've only been parked there for 30 minutes and the sign says I can park there for an hour. She's feeling indignant on my behalf.

Except, when she returns with the ticket, it's not for parking there too long.

It's for expired tags.

Like tags that expired in effing September.

Don't ask me how we made it to December without realizing that our tags were expired. (I blame the baby.) And don't even ask me how my husband can drive the car for 3 months and not get caught, but the first time I drive it, I get a ticket. (I blame the hubby.)

And so, we now have to budget into our Christmas budget renewing our tags, paying the late fee, AND paying my enormous ticket.

Baby brain. It's expensive.

8 comments:

ivcolga said...

:-(

Anonymous said...

One of the most important lessons I've learned at The Gathering Place: when you're broke is precisely when you should look fabulous.

Ask the city of Denver if they'll accept payment in the form of Milo hugs. Or maybe barter a Jack Russell Terrior or 2? =)

Greta

Muser Grace said...

Oh, wow! I totally just got a ticket for the same thing...they'd expired in August. I had NO idea. And I had no proof of insurance in the car (fortunately we did have insurance). And I was driving in the bus lane. So I have to go to court. Oops. I don't even have the excuse of baby-brain anymore. Though I was balancing a 4-year-old, school, and a new job, so I get a pass, I think. :) Anyway, hope it makes you feel better that I did the same thing...

Muser Grace said...

P.S. I don't know if the court system in Denver (or wherever you were) is like the court system out here in Jeffco, but I totally forgot to pay a hefty speeding fine awhile back and so had to go to my court-date. Turned out to be a really good thing as the DA, not even asking what happened, suggested a plea-bargain that switched the charge from a 3-point $170 speeding ticket to a dysfunctional headlight charge (1 pt and $48). I took the plea bargain. Same thing happened to another friend of mine and she said the same sort of thing was happening for everyone there...so might be worth it to go to the court date instead of paying the ticket (but, again, I have no idea if the same sort of thing happens in other counties...)

Lauren said...

I'm really liking Greta's comment! And I'm so, so sorry. SO frustrating. At least you can hold this over Milo's head when he's a teenager. :)

Emily and Matt said...

No fair. Just because a gal wants to go out and have a little fun, get her hair done and socialize with someone who does more than just babbles (we DO LOVE YOU, Milo)...what does she get?! Hmph.

At least you look just that more FABULOUS now. :o)

~Emily

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,
I am sorry. It sort of runs in our family. We went six months with expired license.
Love,
Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I was reading through your blog, and I like it.... :)

I would love it if you visited my blog, and if you follow me, I will follow you. I have a commentary on my blog right now, and would love you HONEST opinion with no worries...

Jesse