Thursday, June 9, 2011

a mama confession: baby trickery


I have some friends with new babies. And one friend who is a month away from having a new baby.

And, sometimes, when I hang out with new babies, I can't remember why I thought new babies were hard. Because holding a baby that falls asleep when it's tired and stays asleep in Target feels way easier than a Milo baby that requires being in his crib with his two loveys, his sleep sheep, his white noise machine, and his pacifier in order to take a nap. Not to mention that it can't be too light and can't be too hot.

And also new babies don't move much when you're trying to cook dinner. Or go to the bathroom.

But, here's the thing.

Being a new mama with a new baby is so hard even if, looking back now, I can't remember why.

It's hard because becoming a mother is a big darn deal. It changes every single cell in your body. Where, before, you only had to think about yourself and maybe a pet or two, now you have to think about this little person who depends on you to stay alive.

Plus, becoming a mother makes you way dumber. I used to be smart. If you don't believe me, look at my GPA from graduate school or read old posts on this blog. But after a baby? Brain mush. Mostly because your brain is busy remembering the last time you fed your baby, trying to determine if your baby is eating enough, trying to guess if your baby is too hot, too cold, too gassy, or too constipated. Not to mention that trying to figure out a baby's sleep schedule requires a rocket science degree. Your brain is too full to remember other people's birthdays or that your car tags need renewing.

And just when you start to figure some things out, the baby comes up with NEW things to trip you up. Like getting teeth. And starting solids.

Before we moved, I felt like I was in a really good place with Milo. But then he did some magic baby trickery and changed it up on me. He is throwing fits when we try to change his diaper. He lays down on the floor and kicks his legs when you take something away that he's not supposed to have. And he makes this weird "eh eh eh" noise when he wants more oat puffs, which is pretty much every minute of the day.

I work myself into a panic when I think about what's ahead of us: toddlerdom, potty training, preschool....... it makes me pine for the "good ole days" when I only had to worry about myself.

Luckily, there is an antidote for baby trickery.

Other mamas.

You need other mamas. It's helpful to have mamas who are ahead of you. Mamas who can give you advice and pour you a glass of wine. Mamas who understand how much you love your baby but, also, how much you sometimes wish the Goodwill would come pick your baby up from the curb.

And, so, to all you new mamas and about-to-be mamas (and any friends who might someday be mamas), I want you to know that you can and will survive baby trickery.

And, if you live close by, I'll be there to pour you a glass of wine.........

Also, it really helps that babies are cute. How can you NOT love this face?


2 comments:

Riss said...

Ok I'll have that glass of wine now. I'd set up a date with you but I have no idea what day it is today... Hah! Love this and thanks for the phone calls.

jakeandcamigrace said...

We can share a glass...or two in Tahoe!