Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Better Kind of Crazy

My heart is beating a little faster as I type this post. Some of you know that I have been thinking about going to Israel/Palestine for awhile now, and I am announcing today that it is official. I am going!

I am going with two of my friends from Iliff, Kevin and Greta, and we are going as part of a delegation with Christian Peacemakers Team. Their motto is "Getting in the way" and they seek to provide a nonviolent alternative to war and other forms of lethal inter-group conflict. The brochure I received says this about the role of delegation members: "Delegation members provide encouragement for individuals and communities experiencing violence, challenge violations of human rights and promote active nonviolence as a means of settling disputes."

The trip is scheduled for July 21-August 3. I don't have a lot of trip details, but I know we will spend the first few days meeting with representatives from Israeli and Palestinian groups in Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Later in the delegation, we will spend time documenting human rights conditions, taking part in street patrols, and meeting with residents and leaders in the occupied territory. We will not be in Gaza, only the West Bank.

David (and my mother) are less than thrilled, but they know this is important to me and they are being supportive. Luckily, David is the only one who saw the waiver I had to sign--I'm not showing THAT to my mom! =)

I applied for funding to cover the cost of the trip and haven't heard any thing yet. I was going to wait until I had heard something final about finances to announce that I was going, but after a lot of prayer and discernment (and talking to David!), I have decided to go even if the funding falls through. I will keep y'all posted about funding. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kevin, Greta, and I went out to lunch and I asked them if we were crazy for going. Greta, my ever wise and wonderful friend, said "Tiffany, EVERYBODY'S crazy. We're just trying to be a better kind of crazy!"

I think she's right. And I'm beginning to think that's what ALL Christians are called to. So here's to being a "better kind of crazy."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will worry with your Mom and David, but we will be praying for your safety. I will be gone about the same time. Mom B

Lauren said...

So glad this is coming together. I'll be praying for you as you prepare. Keep us posted!

ivcolga said...

...so there's a waiver, huh???
Actually, I'm pretty peaceful about this...at least in May. I love you and am so proud of you. You are a better kind of crazy!
Love,
Mom C

tomwriter said...

The farther that religion gets away from understanding the reality of God as being about inclusive universal unconditional love for all humanity, the crazier it becomes. To make people more aware of a way that sees peace and justice as divine attributes is, indeed, a better kind of crazy. It can be a dangerous and difficult choice but one that transcends the ordinary and the traditional life steps. May you carry a wisp of hope to those so desperate, and may it be done with the courage and strength that God always provides on such a journey.

Emily said...

CONGRATS Tiffany!!!!!! I'm so excited for you. What a blessing! I know that you will be in His hands and that He will keep you safe.

Love,
Emily

Rusty Brian said...

That's really cool Tiffany, I'm proud of you for going. Like everyone else I'll worry about you as well, but I think prayer will be the most effective answer. I know you'll not regret it.

Anonymous said...

I am so very proud to call you my friend. Love you!
Carrie