Monday, September 14, 2009

God Bless the Freaks

My friend, Greta, just wrote a really awesome post titled, "God Bless the Freaks." You can read it here

I found her post really comforting because lately I've been feeling like a real freak, and by freak I mean so not normal. 

Part of it stems from being on facebook and feeling like I have way too many normal friends with normal jobs and normal houses and normal babies. (Talk about being a freak! Who quits their job, sells their house, and still has no baby after 6 years of marriage?! FREAKS!) 

Living fully into God's vision for our lives will make us, well, freaks. Believing that what we have is enough instead of wanting more, believing that life is more full when we live communally instead of trying to secure our own selves and our own families, resisting the pressure to work more and play less just so we have money to buy more stuff, and practicing radical and ridiculous generosity is so not normal

But this is why I love Greta's post. Because it asserts that God Blesses the Freaks. There is joy to be found in living a life that is not normal. 

I need to know that not everyone out there is normal. What makes you a freak? How are you living into God's vision for your life, despite the consequences? 

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Um, 7 years of marriage and living with Grandma!!!
We made an international move with no home, no job, and very little money believing we are following God's call. Obedience feels scary right now but we believe there is a ministry and a community for us somewhere and if our life looks and feels a little different, well, I guess we're on the right track. :)

Muser Grace said...

Oh, I will definitely have to go read Greta's post! Freak...yep...no money, no job, going into debt to go into a profession that may not ever make me any money...it's so good to reframe all of this as obedience to a call rather than defectiveness! Thanks for the reminder ;)

ivcolga said...

Look at all the love and learning that you have been giving and receiving during this not-so-normal (?) time of your life. You're right where you should be doing what you should be doing. ...and there's a baby in your future (and a grandbaby in mine). :-)