Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Mama Confession: This is hard.

(Lest you read this post and get the impression I think motherhood is a cake walk...)

I know Milo is a good baby. I love him. I am lucky to be his mom. But holymarymotherofjesus, being a mama is hard.

Last night I had to pray to God. For real. Because at 4:30 a.m. I needed help. I've done enough spiritual discernment to know I shouldn't expect immediacy from God--that when I ask God for something I shouldn't expect immediate (if any) results. But I think God might have a clause for new mothers because last night I prayed--out loud--"HELP!" I prayed that God would zap me immediately with the patience I needed to endure Milo's 4 a.m. feeding without screaming at him or leaving him in his crib while I drove to Mexico.

Like I said, Milo's a good baby. But last night at 4:30, when Milo was awake for the third time and the world's largest booger was stuck in his right nostril making it impossible for him to breathe and eat at the same time and David, who is way better than me at extracting boogers with the suction bulb thingy, was at work, we both cried.

I'm sure Milo thinks it's way harder to be a baby than it is to be a mama.

Lucky for both of us, God sensed my urgency and responded. I found enough patience and kindness to finish Milo's feeding, ginormous booger and all.

This morning I needed out of the house. David needed to sleep and I needed out of the house. So I packed Milo up and took him to a breastfeeding group that my friend took me to last month. We're not really having trouble with breastfeeding, I just wanted to be surrounded by other non-baby human beings.

I cannot tell you how comforting it is to be supported by other mothers. The woman who sat next to me started crying as soon as she sat down and told me she is just. so. tired. And I didn't even know her name but I felt like I could have hugged her and said, "I know how you feel, sister!"

It was so nice hearing that other mothers have babies who only sleep 3 hours at a time at night and who also want to eat every 2-2.5 hours. (Babywise and other such "resources" make me feel like he should be on a better feeding schedule and should be sleeping through the night by now.) I've decided that most mothers are flooded with guilt and anxiety and worry because, let's be honest, keeping another human being alive is hard. freaking. work.

So, Mr. Babywise author man, unless you are volunteering to come over tonight at 4 a.m. and suction my baby's nose, feed him a bottle, and change his diaper while I sleep, I've had just about enough of you thank you very much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid Babywise Man! He can kiss it!

<3
Carrie

ivcolga said...

I'm with Carrie!
...and he has never been a mama...
AND...he should keep his opinions to himself.

Anonymous said...

I've told you this before, & I will keep telling you: your honesty is SUCH a GIFT to me. I hate that you had a rough night, but love that I'm not the only impatient mommy out there.
Crystal

Lauren said...

All I can say is I love you, and I am so, so thankful you were able to commune with some other new mamas who can really understand how you're feeling! I hope you can keep doing that.
Hang in there, my friend. I'm praying for you today...

Muser Grace said...

Oh, I remember so very many nights like that (and those damn booger suckers--SparkleEyes cried the worst blood-curdling cries whenever I tried to extract boogers with that thing. Ugh).

But how I love you and your honesty and your 4 am prayers for comfort!

And anyone who says that a 2-month-old should be on some kind of regular sleep and feeding schedule is full of the smelliest kind of crap. Seriously.

I won't come over at 4 am to extract boogers and feed Milo, but if you need a nap, I can come over on Monday and bring a movie for SparkleEyes and hold the little one so you can sleep! :)

Rachel said...

The nights, oh the nights! Being a first time mommy is EXHAUSTING!!!!! Just skip the books- every baby is different. It can be very discouraging when a book tells us our baby should be ____________ by now and he isn't! You are a wonderful mommy!!! Just know the sleep does come and your body will adjust to the lack of sleep! Suddenly 6 hours a night of sleep will feel like an eternity!