However, the real celebration came a few days later when I went to chapel at Iliff. Chapel was being led by the National Association of Pan-African Seminarians (NAPAS) and they invited me and a few other white students to lead worship with them.
I was deeply, deeply honored to be invited. I only read two short verses from 1 Kings, but I felt so lucky to participate in the service in some way.
The music was unbelievable. It was loud. And powerful. And soul-stirring. The music carried the pain in our community as we felt, from a distance, the suffering of our Haitian brothers and sisters.
Rev. Benjamin Reynolds, an Iliff alum, gave the sermon. It was honest. It was truthful. It revealed the ways that racism holds us all in its power. And yet it was also hopeful. It pointed toward a different way of living and being together, what Dr. King called the Beloved Community.
Iliff is far from perfect. Like any other institution, it has a lot of work to do around racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism and a slew of other 'isms.' However, from 11-12 on Wednesday morning, Iliff seemed to get some things right. It was a really phenomenal morning and a reminder of why I am so grateful to be there!
4 comments:
NAPAS was always a highlight of the year for me. Yes, Iliff does a lot of things right...and it's good for the reminder...
I only wish I could have been there to experience it, too...
It sounds amazing.
It sounds like it was a great service. We are glad you could be a part of it.
That sounds very moving.
Post a Comment